In my practice, I see 3 root causes behind people gaining weight:
- Unhealthy lifestyles – eating too much of the wrong food or lacking physical activity
- Hormonal imbalances
- Toxin accumulations
Addressing the Root Causes
To achieve permanent weight loss, we need to work on those 3 root causes!
Change Your Lifestyle
1. Exercise: To maintain a healthy weight, regular exercise is key. Aim to get at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise five times a week. Incorporate weight lifting into your routine to build muscle strength. Additionally, make sure to include relaxation exercises in order to reduce stress hormones.
2. Reduce your caloric intake: Calorie reduction is a critical part of any weight loss plan. Aim to keep your meals at or below 400 calories, consuming no more than 3 meals daily.
3. Reduce carbohydrate intake: All carbohydrates are broken down into sugars, which are used for energy by our bodies. When we consume too much sugar, our bodies do not need to burn excess stored fat.
4. Drink plenty of filtered water: This is important as water helps to flush toxins from the body.
5. Eat good foods: Eating organic fruits, vegetables, grass-fed beef, free-range chicken, or eggs is important for any weight loss plan. These foods provide essential nutrients and vitamins our body needs for optimal health. They also contain fewer toxins, which can increase the risk of weight gain.
6. Avoid big meals, especially at night: Our bodies don’t have enough time to burn off all the calories before bedtime and as a result, much of it will be stored as fat.
7. Plan meals ahead of time: Eating out too often can cause weight gain, as restaurant foods are usually not organic. Don’t buy processed food as they are usually high in sugar, carbs, and gluten which can lead to weight gain.
8. Make sleep a priority: Sleep deprivation can lead to increased levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which encourages the body to store fat. This makes weight loss more difficult.
Balance Your Hormones
These hormones help us lose weight:
Testosterone helps to build muscle mass which increases calorie-burning potential. Progesterone helps the body utilize fat more effectively, and thyroid hormone is responsible for energy production by burning calories and regulating metabolism.
Many women struggle to lose weight after menopause due to hormonal decline, even if they have good eating habits and exercise regularly. That’s why bio-identical hormone therapy can often be beneficial for menopausal women to lose weight.
These hormones make us gain weight:
Insulin acts like a key that unlocks the cell membrane, allowing sugar to enter and be used for energy production. If sugar intake is too much and not utilized, it becomes stored fat. We have all heard about insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, and diabetes. They all start by eating too many carbohydrates. This causes cells to store too much fat, making it more difficult for insulin to open the cell membrane. When this happens, our body produces more insulin in order to push glucose into the cells. This is called insulin resistance.
High insulin levels can lead to increase fat production and inflammation of the body. This is metabolic syndrome. Eventually, even with elevated insulin levels, the body may be unable to process all the sugar in the bloodstream, causing blood sugar to rise and leading to type II diabetes.
If you have metabolic syndrome or type II diabetes, the good news is that it can be reversed with lifestyle changes such as losing weight and improving your diet. Additionally, there are supplements that may help improve insulin sensitivity.
We sell supplements such as GLUCOSUPPORT, with chromium, alpha lipoid acid, and cinnamon, as well as METABOLIC BOOST, with berberine, alpha lipoid acid, and chromium. Both of these supplements can help to improve insulin sensitivity and lower blood sugar levels.
Cortisol, the stress hormone, works in a similar way as insulin by getting sugar into the cell to generate energy. Cortisol can also break down muscle and turn it into sugar. When we are under stress, we often turn to comfort foods which tend to be high in sugar and carbohydrates, exacerbating the cycle.
It is important to manage our stress levels in order to reduce the body’s stress response. Taking supplements such as ARENCALM-T, our CHELATED MAGNESIUM may help relax our body and CHILL PILL PM may help with sleep quality.
Detoxify Your Body
Losing weight only without addressing the toxins in our body can push toxins further into our system and does not reduce inflammation. That’s why detoxification is so important to include in any weight loss program. I recommend adding INFLAMDETOX POWDER to a smoothie as a meal replacement. If you don’t like smoothies, using INFLAMMDETOX MULTI can help. We also have a 14-DAY DETOX kit designed for weight loss and detoxification